Senior Service Charge Accountant
Main Purpose of the Role
- Be responsible for 80-90 service charge detailed reviews.
- Ensure all service charges are closed within 3 months of year end
- Load and review budgets on both Horizon and APB
- Ensure budgets are loaded on the system and finalised prior to quarter rent raise being completed ( usually 8 weeks before that start of the budget year).
- Instruct Corporate to amend the fee billing schedule in line with the new budgets.
- To report statistical Analysis of service charge performance on a monthly basis and where client requires submit service charge stats to clients on a weekly basis.
- To prepare cash reconciliations within one month of service charge closure.
- Ensure the fee spreadsheet is completed and sent weekly to Corporate to raise the fees accrued into each Service Charge year end.
- Ensure service charge part period handovers for purchases are checked and implemented onto the system and handovers on sold properties are completed in line with the purchase/ sale contracts
- Ensure all service charge filing is accurate and accessible to the team. This includes email filing of back up.
Main Functional Links:
- Report to Head of Accounts (Rodney Unsworth)
- Client portfolio
- Property managers
- Facilities Managers
- Credit Control, Purchase ledger, Treasury, Client accounts team
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with surveyors and Facilities Managers so that we may meet the RICS best practice guideline and meet client KPI deadlines of three months
- Manage a high volume of transactions and property service charge closures
- Review service charge expenditure, income, tenant occupation and apportionments prior to issue to surveyors.
- Raise Budget and balancing service charge demands, journal posting and accounting for accruals and prepayments.
- Management and instruction to external auditors where service charges require external audit.
- Preparation of final accounts when closing down old/sold properties and transfer of information to new agents
- Prepare cash reconciliations and balance sheet items.
- To be client focussed and liaise with property managers in order to meet the requirements defined in the service level agreement
- Ensure fee income spreadsheet completed and submitted to our Corporate team
- To assist and support other functions within Management Accounts
- To maintain and control an accurate schedule of current service charges managed by the business.
- Experience in service charge reconciliations
- Experience in analytical reviews - income/expenditure/ ledgers
- Experience in cash reconciliations
- Experience in at least one of APB OR Horizon beneficial
- Excellent communication skills
- Be able to manage deadlines and own portfolio
- Well practices problem solving and analysis skills
- An analytical and inquisitive nature
- Flexibility and adaptability in dealing with legacy databases.